Deliveries of Items for Residents
*At all times, we ask that you DO NOT deliver items to The Birches that are coming from a household where individuals are required to self-isolate or are symptomatic.
Update: Dec. 17, 2020
As we move forward together through this very unique time, we’re always looking at what changes can be made to balance risk and quality of life for our residents. Recently, based on carefully considered feedback from families, and discussions with Public Health, we have decided that items will NO LONGER NEED TO BE QUARANTINED when they are delivered for a resident.
With this change, there will be a couple of ways to drop-off gifts and items to residents:
- Designated Caregivers / Visitors can bring items with them when they enter the facility. If the item is a perishable item, it must be a single serving that the resident can consume during the visit. We will not be able to store any leftover portions, they will need to be discarded. (Please remember, because of the need for visitors to wear masks, the visitor cannot share the item with the resident.)
- Loved ones can also still set up a drop-off time outside of the above-mentioned visits by calling reception in advance at 902-889-3474 ext. 0 and bringing the item at the agreed upon time to our front entrance in a clear bag, labelled with the resident’s name!
Nov. 12, 2020
As cases of COVID-19 grow within Nova Scotia, we will be moving back to quarantining items that are delivered for residents, as of Tuesday, Nov. 17th.
- As the holiday season draws closer, families who would like to ensure a present is received by a resident by Dec. 25th should plan ahead and arrange to drop-off the gift by Dec. 18th via the directions below. Keep in mind that any gifts may need to be cleaned/laundered.
- At this time, residents will receive delivered items at least 48 hours after they're delivered. Please keep in mind that weekends may delay the delivery to the resident if the item is delivered later in the week, as we don't have reception support on weekends.
- Designated Caregivers and Indoor Visitors will no longer be able to bring items with them for the resident when they enter the facility.
- Perishable items can no longer be delivered for residents at this time (items requiring refrigeration; treats; homemade baked goods; fresh fruit and vegetables; etc.).
- To drop-off an item for a resident at this time, call reception in advance at 902-889-3474 ext. 0. Bring non-perishable items at the agreed upon time to our front entrance in a clear bag, labelled with the resident’s name (see below for example)! These deliveries will be made through our front entrance (road-side), Monday - Friday, 9 am - 12 pm (excluding holidays). You must call reception in advance at 902-889-3474 ext. 0 to schedule your drop-off!
We are grateful that we had the period of time when we were comfortable accepting deliveries without quarantine - as we are sure you are as well - but at this time we believe it's not safe to continue in this way.
We hope that things will change in the community, and we will feel comfortable allowing deliveries without quarantine again soon. Thank you for your patience and understanding.